Monday, September 30, 2024

How I Do My Classes


One of the questions I am most often asked is: How do you actually do your classes? So, I thought I'd share my usual procedure here for a normal class:


With vocabulary, this is the process I normally follow:

Step 1 (before class): Ask them to read the section on vocabulary in the textbook.

Step 2 (before class): Play the vocabulary game at home. (My version of the game allows me to see their results online.)

Step 3 (in class): We read and write with the vocabulary. This step usually has three parts: 

1. Individually, they write sentences using the vocabulary for an activity. (For example, they might write sentences about what their family members are like, and one of the sentences could be a lie.)

2. Then, in groups, I ask them to read each other’s sentences and complete the activity (for example: guessing which sentence is the lie). 

3. Finally, I collect one sheet from each group, write the sentences from that sheet in front of the class, and they read them and do the activity, usually through Quick Questions. (For example: they guess whose sentences they are and which one is the lie.)

Step 4 (in class): We listen and speak using the vocabulary. This step usually has two parts: 

1. In groups, they complete an activity with the vocabulary. (For example: they could compare their family's habits to see who has the busiest family.) 

2. Then, each group (if we have time) has to give a report to the class, and the class has to do something with the information. (For example: One person from each group can say who has the busiest family in their group and explain why. The class then votes using Quick Questions on which group has the busiest family and why.)

In general, these steps take up the whole class period.


For grammar, I do basically the same thing:

Step 1: Read about the grammar before class.  

Step 2: Play the grammar game before class.  

Step 3: Read and write in class with an activity that uses the grammar (individually, then in groups, then as a class).  

Step 4: Listen and speak in class with an activity that uses the grammar (in groups, then as a class).

I hope this helps. If you want to see more examples, here are the writing activities I use in my Spanish 1 classes, and here are the oral activities I use in my Spanish 1 classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment