Friday, March 21, 2014

Where to get Movies and Books in Your Langauge


If you decide to learn a language by watching movies you already enjoy in that language then you are likely to eventually start purchasing DVDs that are dubbed in the new language because the ones that you have right now are not dubbed in that language. For example, I'm slowly replacing my non-spanish dubbed dvds with spanish-dubbed ones.Some languages, like Spanish, have an unfair advantage, but there are still quite a few dvds in the US that are not even dubbed in Spanish. Often I can't even find them on Amazon.es or Amazon.mx. So I've been buying them from an online store in Spain and an online store in Mexico and I've found one on eBay (the hard part was finding the online stores, but once I did it was definitely worth the effort!) I also purchased a region-free player (Toshiba BDX1300 DVD & Blu-Ray Player) which works really well so far (I've been using it almost daily for several months). Finally, I've purchased almost all of the Terry Pratchett books that I've been reading in Spanish on Amazon, but most of them have been shipped from England.

One last note, be aware that sometimes a dvd description on Amazon or other website may say that it is dubbed in the language, but it really isn't. That's because of different versions of the same dvd. This has happened with me with dvds that were identified as dubbed in Spanish in the Amazon description, but aren't really dubbed in Spanish. So far I think I've received around 4 dvds like this.  This is another reason I've moved on to using almost only the online stores in Spain and Mexico, because all their dvds so far have definitely had Spanish dubbing.

3 comments:

  1. If you think getting ahold of spanish stuff is hard. Getting chinese language movies and gooks is really a pain. I haven't tried for a few years though so this post inspired me to go look again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Spanish definitely has an advantage over many other languages as far as materials acquisition in the US. Good luck with your search!

      Delete